1 (218) 444-4529


1 (888) 711-4529

Toll Free

Liability for serving alcohol to friends over the holidays in Minnesota

Liquor Liability Typically, only bars and liquor stores (establishments licensed to sell alcohol) can be held liable for "illegal sales" of alcohol. Minnesota does, however, have a limited Social Host liability statute. Anybody over the age of 21 who sells, furnishes or gives alcohol to a minor can be held liable for the harm caused by the intoxication of the minor. The intoxicated minor does not have a claim but the minor's parents can bring a claim in certain instances. Note that this law also places liability on those who knowingly allow underage drinking on their premises! Allowing your minor child to...

Continue reading