Winter Weather Driving Tips For Northern Minnesotans
The winter snows in Minnesota can be beautiful, but snow and ice can quickly make the roadways treacherous. Navigating icy roads and facing extreme cold temperatures requires some advance planning.
At Hazelton Law Group, our attorneys have been representing clients all around Bemidji and Grand Rapids, as well as the Red Lake and White Earth Reservations, who were injured in winter weather wrecks since the 1980s.
What Can You Do To Stay Safer On Winter Roads
Our lawyers see a lot of motor vehicle accident claims after every winter storm. With that in mind, here are our top tips for avoiding a crash on snowy or ice-covered roads:
- Clear all the snow off your vehicle before starting out, even the roof.
- Make sure that you and all your passengers wear seatbelts.
- Reduce your speed to account for increased stopping times.
- Increase the distance you keep between your vehicle and others.
- Make sure your headlights are on, even in daytime hours.
- Stay a minimum of five car lengths behind any snowplows.
- Do not use cruise control on roads that are covered in ice or snow.
Remember, too, not to panic if you start to lose control of your vehicle. Take your foot off the gas, apply steady pressure to your brakes (if you have an anti-lock braking system) and turn the steering wheel the way you want the vehicle to go. Following these tips will not only help you avoid a wreck but also help protect your interests if another driver plows into you.
In A Wreck In The Ice Or Snow? Call Us For A Free Consultation.
If you ended up in a wreck on the winter roads despite all your efforts to avoid one, our attorneys are here for you. Never assume that you do not have a viable claim for your injuries and other losses just because the roads were icy.
Call 218-210-2043 to talk to a lawyer at Hazelton Law Group right away and let us tell you how we can help you. You can also reach out online. We do not let insurance companies get away with blaming the victim.